Board Level Appointments
Our approach to board appointments is designed to be systematic and disciplined, as we cover the market comprehensively and tailor the process to your needs. We have worked with more than two thirds of the Irish Stock Exchange PLCs on board appointments as well as large private and state organisations. We assist on (1) board level appointments, (2) selection/nomination committee advisory and (3) board evaluation.
Board Level Appointments
PHASE 1 Identify Needs and Generate Candidates
- Confidentiality, Non-disclosure Agreements signed
- Discuss background with stakeholders regarding strategic context and agreeing on a search strategy
- Define key competencies, functional skill sets and behavioural traits
- Set out and agree on a timetable
- Carry out a disciplined, thorough search process to produce the longlist
- Agree on stakeholder roles
PHASE 2 Evaluate and Shortlist Candidates
- Nomination Committee reviews the longlist and selects the candidates to be approached
- Leaders’ Mores directly approaches these candidates
- An evaluation of these candidates is carried out by Leaders’ Mores
- Leaders’ Mores prepares confidential reports on the appropriate interested candidates
PHASE 3 Present Candidates and Hiring Process
- Nomination Committee interviews the shortlist candidates
- Nomination Committee debate candidate merits with Leaders’ Mores support
- An offer is extended to the selected candidate, subject to references
- Formal referencing taken by Leaders’ Mores
- Formal approval and ratification by the Board
Nomination/Selection Committee Advisory
We advise the Board Nomination Committee (Selection Committee) on all aspects of C-Suite appointments (Chief Executive and the Chief’s direct reports).
- Review the strategy – What are the trends, changes and challenges?
- Write job description using the strategy review. What are the key measures of this role?
- Attend an initial meeting with the Nomination Committee to,
- agree the recruitment and appointment process
- agree the management of internal and external candidates
- ensure a search company is working on the identification and presentation of external candidates
- agree the interviewer teams
- Leaders’ Mores interviews all candidates and provides a detailed assessment of each candidate.
- Attend all subsequent Nomination Committee meetings in order to,
- ensure the process is working
- confirm the process is on schedule
- contribute to candidate assessment debate
- ensure each participant is contributing appropriately
- support the Committee in final candidate selection and on negotiation of the contract.
Board reviews are conducted in accordance with the relevant regulations, for example stock exchange requirements, Codes, NSAI Swift 3000, Public Sector Guidelines. Evaluations have been conducted for PLCs, State organisations, large private organisations and large financial or pharmaceutical organisations regulated outside Ireland.
- A meeting is set up with the head of compliance to agree the terms of reference, methodology and timelines. A confidentiality agreement is signed by Leaders’ Mores.
- Leaders’ Mores has a meeting with the Chairman.
- All parties agree on the online questionnaire for the main board and sections for the committees e.g. audit, risk, nominations and remuneration.
- A schedule of board documents is created to be supplied by the company e.g. schedule of board meeting dates, risk registrar.
- The questionnaire is completed online by each board member.
- Confidential one-on-one interviews are carried out with each board member, approx 60 minutes. The interview will review each board member’s completed questionnaire and will also encompass broader board issues.
- Leaders’ Mores analyses the completed questionnaires and interviews.
- Review and analysis of the board documents listed above.
- Review of the most recent internal board evaluations.
- The report is sent to the board.
- Leaders’ Mores attends the subsequent board meeting to discuss the report and answer questions from the board members.
- Actions are listed in the board minutes.